To my knowledge, the Shasta Historical Society has never issued corrigenda or errata for its most recently published books, despite numerous errors. The following list of corrections is not necessarily comprehensive:
Images of America: Shasta County
Charleston, SC: Arcadia Publishing: 2003.
- Page 4: City Hotel was located approximately 50′ north of the corner of Tehama and Market.
- Page 25: The Chinese were expelled from Redding in 1886, but other Shasta County communities allowed them to remain.
- Page 31: It would be difficult for a photographer to take a photo of his Redding studio in 1870, as the town was not founded until 1872.
- Page 31: Hal Weldon died in 1906, so this photo was likely taken before 1915.
- Page 40: The Mammoth Smelter at Kennett was dismantled for scrap in 1927.
- Page 56: The Depot Hotel was not built until 1888.
- Page 57: Again, the Depot Hotel was not built until 1888.
- Page 58: The photo of the men with gold sacks was taken circa 1895.
- Page 64: The photo is of the southeast corner of Butte and Market Street, not Market and Tehama.
- Page 73: The photo of Market Street was not taken any earlier than 1902.
- Page 89: The turreted version of the Idanha Hotel was built in 1902 and had numerous operators over the years. The original structure burned in 1914 and wasn’t rebuilt until two or three years later and did not feature a turret.
- Page 89: The Bank of Shasta County building was completed in 1902. After its failure, it was reorganized into Redding National Bank, which was later purchased by the Bank of Italy.
- Page 93: The structure was actually built before 1889 and converted to use as a hospital in 1897.
Images of America: Redding
Charleston, SC: Arcadia Publishing: 2004.
- Page 2: A caption on page 14 says the Reid Ferry began operation in 1854; this caption says 1860. Which is it?
- Page 4: The photo was taken between 1912 and 1915.
- Page 14: The Chinese were expelled from Redding in 1886, but other Shasta County communities allowed them to remain.
- Page 21: Where to begin? The hotel in the photograph (clearly a two-story building) was the first hotel at the site of the Depot Hotel and was initially known just known as the “Redding Hotel.” When it was destroyed by fire in 1885, it was known as “Conroy’s Hotel.” The second hotel at the site, named the Depot Hotel, was the one 2 1/2 stories tall with a 200′ frontage.
- Page 22: It is difficult to tell for sure, but this photo of Market Street was probably taken closer to 1910.
- Page 34: Pictures are hung; people are hanged. People hanged without a trial, like the Ruggles Brothers, are lynched.
- Page 54: The Hill Building was built in 1923.
- Page 56: The female statue that once stood on the courthouse dome was Justice, not Liberty. The Hall of Records was completed in 1909 and designed by M.W. Herron, who also designed Redding’s first City Hall.
- Page 58: The Grand Jury is standing in front of Redding’s first courthouse, not City Hall.
- Page 59: The Carnegie Library was built in 1903.
- Page 64: The Temple Hotel was completed in 1903 and was not destroyed for the downtown mall.
- Page 64: The Hotel Reading pictured was built in 1909 and destroyed by fire in 1917. The caption is accurate for the Hotel Redding that was built in 1927 and located at Market and Sacramento Street.
- Page 84: This is not the Holt & Gregg brickyard, but rather the Redding Tile & Brick Company, which was located near where Wyndham Lane is today.
- Page 85: As noted previously, Hal Weldon died in 1906, so this photo was likely taken before 1915.
- Page 118: The building that has housed Jack’s Grill continuously since 1938 was built in 1935 by William Morrison.
Shasta County Memories: A Photographic History | 1800s – 1930s
Battle Ground, Washington: Pediment Publishing, 2009.
- Page 8: The A.O.U.W Lodge Hall, Palace Saloon, and Royal Cafe were actually located on Market Street in Redding. The photo was probably taken circa 1900 (plus or minus ten years).
- Page 10: Taylor was not a neighborhood; it was the post office designation for the town of Keswick.
- Page 12: The name of the organization was the Civilian Conservation Corps, not the Civilian Conservation Corporation.
- Page 66: The interior photo is not of a hardware store, but a tire store operated by Frank F. Freitas.
- Page 66: The building on the southeast corner of Tehama and California was not built until 1923, and was demolished in 1962.
- Page 67: Judging from the moustaches, the photo of the interior of the Hoff Meat Market is likely much earlier than 1925.
- Page 87: John Ruggles was not injured during the robbery of the stagecoach. The Ruggles Brothers were hanged by a lynch mob.
- Page 94: George Albro was not forced to open the safe, it was opened by the lynch mob.
- Page 104: The Carnegie Library was demolished in 1965.
- Page 106: The event in the top left photograph is the ceremonial laying of the cornerstone for Shasta High School by Freemasons.
- Page 106: The courthouse was torn down in 1963.
Shasta County Through Our Eyes
Battle Ground, Washington: Pediment Publishing, 2013.
- Page 7: The machinery pictured on page is more commonly referred to a “traction engine.”
- Page 24: The Redding Hotel was not built until 1927.
- Page 25: The organization is Sciots, not Sciats.
- Page 56: Montgomery Ward opened in the photographed location on the 1600 block Market Street in 1929. The building was built by Victor E. Warrens. The information about the 1948 building probably refers to a warehouse on East Street.